Sometimes a slap in the face works. Especially when you've ben asking for it.
Earlier this week, I had what seemed to be a hard day, and when Teanu told me at night that he would go running, I replied that I was leaving to go buy myself some pants. I had an attitude.
I walked out on my family, jumped in the car, and told myself "Ok, you've got an hour. Don't waste your time". Instead of breathing in and out, and relaxing my shoulders, I gripped the steering wheel and looked at the clock.
On Milford's main road, there are two lanes. That night, a smart individual on his cell phone chose to drive slow and to meander between the two lanes. And every time I would try to pass, he would switch lanes. There were no cars coming in the opposite lanes, so I just passed him. No big deal. We often do this in Europe.
I kept driving for a mile, turned to the parking lot in front of the stores, and went inside.
Since there was nothing in that store, I headed for the door, when a middle age lady came in, looked at me with wide opened eyes and absolute disgust, and started talking to me. At first, I thought she was confused, but no, she was really talking to me:
- the wide eyes lady: Are YOU the one who just passed that car?
- me : Yes, I did pass someone on the road a while ago.
- the wide eyes lady: That was insane!
- me: You followed me in this store to tell me..???!!
- the utterly shocked lady: Yes! this was so dangerrrrous!
- the mumbling me, feeling like a teenager: But there was no one coming...
- the now pretending to be shopping lady: Well, argh, it WAS dangerous, and I WAS not far BEHIND!
- the confused me: ????
At that point, I realize there is no need for further conversation, and I leave quickly. I feel like a little girl being punished. I feel like a foreigner being walked on. And I feel confused and afraid. And maybe a little guilty?
I come to the next store very quickly, pick up a few items and fly to the dressing rooms where I hide. Is she still following me? My mind is racing:
"Oh yes, I'm guilty, it was a continuous line on that road, I know. Was it dangerous? No. The drunk driver ahead of me was dangerous. And what would happen if every citizen in America decided to take the law in their own hands, and play the police? Investigate fellow drivers? It would be an ugly civil war, especially since guns are sold like candies here. I came to have a relaxing/me time and another woman is spoiling my evening? and all those pants are ugly! What are they even thinking selling stuff like that? Oh great, I'm too short. $50!!! Is she still following me?"
What an evening. I came home with pants I would return, and treated my own family as poorly as this unknown lady treated me. Poor me...me...me...
What about her? She might have been scared. People get angry when they're afraid. She perceived the situation as dangerous. Actually, her feeling about it was so strong that she braved it and became overly proactive. She followed me and communicated her feeling. She wasn't aggressive. Her mumbling showed she was confused too.. She was judgmental. I often am too.
She looked offended. Did I drive with an attitude? I'm sure I did, my engine probably roared a little when I passed. I could have waited, been patient. Mmmm...that sounds just like my life and the attitude I've had lately.
Maybe it was a good thing she and I met. Maybe it wasn't that bad of an evening. Maybe a Wiser Power is trying to point to me some missing virtues. Maybe I'll say thank you to that wide eyes lady when I see her again.
Aucun commentaire:
Enregistrer un commentaire