There are days when I become hopeless, extremely uninterested in doing the same tasks I'll be doing for the next twenty years, the same routine, the same serving role, the same isolation and loneliness. I wonder if I'm truly useful and unique in what I'm giving. I would easily find a woman who would be a better mother and wife; who doesn't scream as much, who is smiling enough, just a little, who wants to sit by her husband at night instead of finishing tasks and going to bed. A mother who hasn't become a robot, who can focus instead of emerging from mental fog every time Teva asks a question. A happy camper. A native. Someone who belongs and understands how friendships and lifestyle and thinking and all this crazy American life. Not uprooted. Not cautious or anxious. A mother who gets what my son's teacher says or what people mumble at church.
A being who looks at her life and feels it was worth it; it was worth leaving my first life behind and becoming a french trophy and a mother of boys; it was worth leaving my culture and ways of living to live here (no). Self-pity party. Selfishness...I guess the individualism of this culture added to the impossibility of having honest relationships added to our unique situation ... all of this is eating me. I'm fed up with the residency thing, this alien way of living, America, consumerism, my belly rolls and ugly beige carpet of the house. One of those days. Just don't mind my tantrum.
On the bright side, my English is now coming more easily than my French, and I tend to use English more often at home. The kids don't progress anymore in French and I would rather have them speak a grammatically correct English than a horrible French mixture that I don't understand. They are mixing sentence structure, gender, vocabulary , tenses, conjugations,and about any aspect of grammar, and sadly, refuse correction (Teva thinks I don't know either languages). I never thought it would happen that early. To loose the only thing you had left (the language) is quite a blow to self-identity...and I'm not ready.
A trip to France wouldn't fix the problem. Over there, I am told that I look and act like an American. Stabbed to the heart.
Marie-Magdeleine. Mary. Maria?
I need to start yoga.
Can we leave comments yet here? I always find that I want to leave a comment at the end of your posts. They always leave me with something to say. How cute the boys are- how amazing your art and photography is...
RépondreSupprimerAfter reading this post I'll just say that I have been thinking of you a lot lately. For the past few weeks actually. Before I read this post certainly.
I don't know if you know, but I started going back to do some psychotherapy a few weeks ago. I haven't written about it yet on my blog, but I keep feeling that I should. The sessions I have had so far have been extraordinarily soul changing.
Im moving mountains psychically these past few days. And it feels wonderful to be able to finally have some insight into my thoughts and life stories once again. I will blog about it soon so check in...
I know that life is superbly difficult for you sometimes. Your family has had a mountain of stressors dropped into your lives for the past few years- just know that we love you, we adore your sweet boys, and whenever we visit with you or see your clever posts or funny anecdotes online, we think the world of you. You are one of the few women that are on an interior rung on the rings of intimacy scale for me. I always love talking with you and connecting, although I do so far too infrequently. I'll work on that.
I'm working on my motherhood issues as well right now. Clarice was over today and we were talking about that too. She's on medication too right now for therapy- I mean- who isn't these days- but medication is only half of the solution. I truly believe that once your body and mind are clear enough to function somewhat more clearly- then it is time for SOULWORK.
Do you have someone that you could see who would help you to understand what's going on in your soul at a deep level? Is there a practicing LDS psychoanalyst out in CT? Someone who can help identify which life stories you might be living with and help you to understand them in order to pursue the progression of your own soul?
I love you. I'm thinking of you. I'll send you positive healing brain waves (my newest meditation practice that I want to put into place).
Nancy