24 septembre 2012

Four months later in California

Our moving adventure is finally over. 
It started at the end of June, a week after the boys were done with school. Teanu had been working lots of shifts, passing tests and going through  maze of paper work to obtain licences. The weather was insanely hot and humid and I had been packing until too weak to move. The moving company came a day earlier and late at night. Teanu went to his end of residency ceremony, and I kept cleaning while the movers did their job. The truck was filled by 11 pm that night and we were charged $8000 (surprise!) 
A last night in a Connecticut hotel, and we were on the plane to Utah, while Teanu was driving to Virginia. We ended staying at he Monteros' home for a week (Teanu's sister) because our hotel didn't honor the reservation. We then moved to a vacation rental when Teanu arrived a week later for a short week before returning to Virginia for three weeks. In spite of being alone with the children and being unwell, it was a fun time of playing with cousins and going to the swimming pool often. We visited the small pioneer village in Provo and it became the boys' favorite memory. There was also the fourth of July parade, the Dinosaurs museum and the walks in the mountain. 
Then August came and time to complete the move to California. We each drove a car on that long road.  I did fall asleep several times while driving, which proves we had some heavenly protection. 
Teanu started working; we stayed in different hotels for over three more weeks, waiting for the truck to come, and for the real estate agency to close or cancel the renting contract... which is another story.
I got really tired of the hotel thing, the camping food, the driving around to playgrounds and whatever could entertain the children. Finally the truck arrived!! Teanu was so happy and impatient to get it over with that he worked along the movers; he left two days later back to Virginia.
When he came back a week later, the boys had started school, and it was now September.
And I'm done updating! 







 

2 commentaires:

  1. Why was Teanu in Virginia so much? Your move sounded like a nightmare. I'm sure you're glad it's over, but I can't imagine how horrible that must have been. I think I would have gone crazy for sure. :) We lucked out with our move from OH to CA - lots of help from the ward, which meant we were packed in 2 hours. Then we just drove ourselves out here, and stayed with friends on the way (I think we only had to stay in a hotel twice). And the kids were little saints who slept for 70% of the time. Lucky us.

    Oh, yeah, I'm sure glad you didn't get in a wreck with falling asleep!!!!!! So blessed indeed.

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. ah toi et la californie... vous me manquez

    RépondreSupprimer